News From Masters
Title: Dean of Students
Status: Full Time
Start Date: July 1, 2016
The Masters School (www.mastersny.org) is a premier coed day and boarding school that engages 5th – 12th grade students with a challenging academic program in a welcoming learning environment. Located on 96 picturesque acres overlooking the Hudson River, The Masters School community takes advantage of both its access to the tri-state area and its proximity to the rich cultural and educational magnet that is New York City. Students benefit from the resources, diversity and activities of Masters 7-day campus and accessible, talented faculty and staff. From our exceptional academics and outstanding visual and performing arts program to our championship athletic teams, the Masters learning experience prepares students for success in college, career and life.
The Masters School celebrates active participation, deep understanding, and meaningful connection. A community of diverse individuals, we gather to learn, to strive, to dare, to do – to be a power for good in the world.
The Masters School is looking for a leader who cares passionately about the well-being of every child and has a deep respect for all members of the community. We seek an administrator who will lead by example and who believes in the power of consensus and shared responsibility while being able to be decisive; an accomplished facilitator who enjoys working with adolescents and can remain clear, calm, and kind under pressure. The selected candidate will be a “boarding school person” who loves the lifestyle that comes with the job.
The Dean of Students manages all student life policies and procedures. S/he is responsible for the delivery of student services such as counseling, health and wellness, residential life, student activities, co-curricular program and transportation. The Dean of Students is expected to live on campus and have residential life responsibilities.
- Maintain congruency between the Masters School’s mission and values and the policies and activities associated with the Dean of Students’ office
- Be a highly visible member of the community
- Develop/maintain trusting relationships with all School constituencies
- Establish expectations, behavioral guidelines, and policies for student life and ensure that these are communicated to students, faculty and parents
- Work with faculty and students to implement policies and provide services that create a safe school environment and a school climate that is supportive, respectful, inclusive, and caring
- Be aware of the physical, social, and psychological needs of students and develop strategies to address these needs
- Oversee a comprehensive, restorative approach to school discipline and work with the discipline committee to respond ethically and swiftly to disciplinary problems
- Oversee the Health and Counseling Center
- Oversee attendance processes
- Create opportunities that bring boarding and day students together outside the academic day
- Collaborate with the Technology Department to educate students about positive ways of using social media and other web-based activities
- In collaboration with the Division Heads, train and support the advisors
- In collaboration with the Division Heads and the Athletic Director, oversee the coordination of the co-curricular and athletic program
- Help plan and implement orientation programs for international students and all new students
- Other duties as assigned, which often cannot be anticipated and are part and parcel of life at an independent boarding school
- Advanced degree
- Several years of teaching and administrative experience at a boarding school
- Knowledge and interest in child development, and the ability to work happily, effectively, and cooperatively with adolescents
- Experience in: developing and implementing leadership programs; running student activities programs; working with a diverse study body, including international students, LGBTQ students
- Willingness to encourage, support, and reward creativity, critical thinking, risk-taking and divergent opinions
- Ability to embrace and lead change in a thoughtful and inclusive way
- An open mind demonstrated by strong listening skills and the willingness to consider different perspectives
- Ability to feel and show empathy when dealing with conflict
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and cross-cultural understanding
- Superior communication skills
- An institutional perspective and a desire to work collaboratively across divisions and departments
- Commitment to delegate appropriately, to mentor and hold colleagues accountable
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please submit the following items via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Adobe® PDF format preferred) and include “Dean of Students” in the subject line:
- Cover letter expressing interest in the position at The Masters School; and salary requirements
- Current résumé
- Statement of educational philosophy and approach to Dean of Students role
- List of five references with phone numbers and e-mail address
This position announcement is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title and the education and skills required. This is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that are required or may be required in the future.
Background Screening: The Masters School conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The Masters School actively seeks to forward diversity through its students, faculty and programs.